Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Ahnentafel Journal

I'm tired of files and taking sheets out of sheet protectors to update someone or opening a genealogy program.  I like my college ruled notebooks, but when I'm researching I wind up labeling the top of the page by the surname, writing down what I find, following a lead and starting the next page with someone else - another ancestor or descendant, etc.
Last year I really became enamoured with Bible Art Journaling - sort of a modern take on personal illumination of your own bible.

An example of an illuminated Bible.
I've long had journals - some from the dollar store, some fancy from various bookstores and I've wanted a handmade Grimoire by Brahms Bookworks for some time to create my own illuminated Bible.  But genealogy has long been a passion as well theology and when I recently purchased a small, handmade journal (a kind of mini grimoire), I didn't really know what I was going to do with it.  I loved the engraved "sacred oak" or "tree of life" on the cover and I had just commissioned a girlfriend to recreate Nick Gustafson's "Rainbow Tree Dreams" as it seemed like he had drawn it with my family tree in mind.  You see, I use all of those primary and secondary colors to represent different branches of our family tree!  Of course I've got a standard pedigree chart for our people - I even have their names filled in with their respective color - but who wants to get up from the Lazy Boy, the desk or the bed to refer to that.  😉  I want something handy.  Something I can take notes in that I don't have to page through to find that note.  Some type of system like an ahnentafel...  And then it hit me!  Why not create an AHNENTAFEL JOURNALWalmart has these 192 page lined leather journals for $6-8.  I could have one page per ancestor and go back at least 8 generations.  128 pages would give me 256 ancestors (or 9 generations) using the front for one and the back for another.  Heck, the farther back you go the less info you have so you could divide the page in half and have 4 ancestors per page...  So I started numbering the pages and writing in the ancestor's name at the top of each page in the color coded to that particular family line.  Deciding how I wanted to lay out each page I kept thinking about keeping my penmanship neat and pretty for when I pass down the info to our kids or grandkids.  Pretty.  Hmmm... What about an ILLUMINATED AHNENTAFEL?!?  I could use stencils and rubber/cling stamps for flourishes and borders and various fonts, metallic paints, gel pens...

I've googled numerous combinations and haven't seen anything even remotely close, so I'm excited to be creating something new that might hopefully catch on but I'm not artistic and would like to see various expressions of other people's ideas.  Lol. 
Oh well, you can't pause Life waiting for something that might never occur to someone else.  Tonight's the night.  I'm diving in! 


No comments:

Post a Comment